Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Big 'AHA!': the push for academic vocabulary

My return to the upper grades brought great excitement and great anxiety. Teaching second grade isn't my favorite thing. However, one perk was that I was able to teach the entire year. Because our district is only provisionally accredited, everyone is super-duper, extra obsessed with testing and test scores. While I was excited to have older and more "able" students, it comes with a catch....all this standardized testing stress. Our first round of testing began with the STAR test. Our district uses it to track reading ability and progress. I was completely mortified when I received my data. Not because my kiddos bombed it, I just knew that they should've done better. I racked my brain about why they did not perform as well. And then it dawned on me, VOCABULARY.

So I've definitely been part of the problem. I use vocabulary. However, when that glazed look clouded their eyes and their mouths would open slightly, I was quick to repeat myself in 'lay kids' terms instead of referring to the many anchor charts around the room or their mini lesson hand-outs or their vocabulary flaps. I won't mention my word wall because I was terrible at using it authentically (Sadder school year). This year will be different, though. In an effort to push academic vocabulary and Tier 2 vocabulary words, I'm teaching it explicitly. The ladies over at Second Story Window were instrumental in helping me muddle through teaching second grade. Their blog was where I discovered jargon journals and the weekly words. I implemented both this year, and it's been fabulous. It warms my heart to hear my kiddos using their vocabulary words in conversation and writing. I also introduced the Shades of Meaning center (courtesy of Jen Jones). My kiddos absolutely adore it. I have a very social bunch, so this center is right up their alley.


I'm really excited to watch their progress. Of course, I have a video of a group who did a phenomenal job. They were the first group to actually do the center. It was absolutely amazing. Buuuuuut, I forgot my iPad at school, so I'll upload it on Monday.

Happy teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment